John D. Martin was a long-time official for the city of Beaumont. He came to Beaumont in 1923 and held the position as city engineer from 1930 to 1971. These papers consist of historical background files of engineering endeavors undertaken by the city of Beaumont for the time period between 1910 and 1939. The materials contained in the files are photographic negatives that document various engineering projects completed by the city during this given time period. The files contain information on the early development of the Port of Beaumont from 1915 to 1920, construction of the city sewer system from 1919 to 1920, economic development of the city docks and Port of Beaumont from 1930 to 1939, and the development of the city water filtration plant and city drainage system from 1910 to 1920. These photographic negatives were given to the Tyrrell Historical Library after the death of Mr. Martin in 1974. They have since been digitally scanned for preservation purposes and converted to positive scanned images.